Montreal Place d'Armes
Many Montreal walking, biking, and sightseeing coach tours come to Place d’Armes so visitors can see the historic structures that surround the square. Most walking tours of Old Montreal follow routes that incorporate Place d’Armes and other historic attractions in the area, such as the Old Port, Place Jacques-Cartier, Ramezay Castle (Chateau Ramezay), and Bonsecours Market.
Things to Know Before You Go
Place d’Armes is a must-visit for architecture fans, with many landmark buildings from different eras lining the square.
Bring a camera: The square offers some of the finest views of Montreal’s Notre-Dame Basilica.
Wheelchair users can access the square via the Place-d’Armes Metro station. The square’s main attraction, Notre-Dame Basilica, is also wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
To get to Place d’Armes, take the Metro Orange Line to the Place-d’Armes station. The square is just a 5-minute walk from the waterfront Old Port.
When to Get There
Visit in summer or fall, when it’s warm enough to linger and take some time to admire the surrounding sights. The square is also appealing at night when the facade of the basilica is strategically lit, highlighting its exterior architectural features. On select nights, the basilica hosts an interior light show, which use lighting design and sound to showcase the beauty of the basilica’s artwork and interior decoration.
Place d’Armes Architecture
Next to the basilica is the Saint-Sulpice Seminary. Built in 1687 by Catholic Sulpicians, Saint-Sulpice Seminary is the second-oldest building in Montreal. On another side of the square sits the red sandstone 8-story New York Life Insurance Building—built in the late 1880s and considered to be Montreal’s first skyscraper—and the Aldred Building, a 23-story 1931 art deco gem that bears a strong resemblance to the Empire State Building in New York.
- Things to do in Quebec
- Things to do in Salem
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in New York
- Things to do in Massachusetts
- Ecomuseum Zoo
- Escalade Clip 'n Climb Laval
- St. Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal (L'Oratoire Saint-Joseph du Mont-Royal)
- Jean-Talon Market (Marché Jean-Talon)
- Montreal Little Italy
- Mount Royal Cemetery (Cimetière Mont-Royal)
- Place des Arts
- Mile End
- Mount Royal
- Montreal Botanical Garden (Jardin Botanique de Montréal)
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux-Arts)
- Atwater Market (Marché Atwater)
- Crescent Street (Rue Crescent)
- Two Days in Montreal
- Wine Tasting in Montreal
- Montreal Walking and Tram Tours
- Haunted Montreal
- Wine and Beer Tasting in Montreal
- Haunted Montreal
- Quebec City Day Trips From Montreal
- Things to Do in Montreal This Winter
- How to Spend 3 Days in Montreal
- How to Spend 1 Day in Montreal
- How to Spend 2 Days in Montreal