Raymond Berthillon opened his ice cream shop with the intention of bringing high-quality ice cream to Paris. Tucked away on Île Saint-Louis—one of two natural islands in the Seine River—the business has continued in its mission to use whole ingredients and has delighted patrons for generations. Best known for its wild strawberry (fraises des bois) sorbet and salted caramel (caramel au beurre sale) ice cream, don’t be surprised to find a steady stream of people lined up out front, waiting for a scoop or two.
Things to know before you go
- The store closes for roughly one month towards the end of summer, so go online for specific dates to best plan your visit.
- You will most likely see other Berthillon signs and awnings around Paris, however, these locations are not affiliated with the original Rue Saint-Louis shop.
- Berthillon is only open for select days of the week, so check opening times in advance.
How to get there
Paris is an easy city to explore on foot or by public transportation. Depending on your location you can cross one of five bridges, including Pont Saint-Louis and Pont de la Tournelle, to access the island; or arrive by Metro from the Point-Marie, Saint-Paul, or Cardinal Lemoine stations.
When to get there
For the shortest line, arrive at the glacier shortly after its opening time. If you don’t feel like ice cream for breakfast, just be sure to avoid the shop’s peak hours from 3pm to 7pm. The store is open regularly from morning until evening, but it’s advisable to check the opening schedule before visiting, as it’s closed on select days of the week.
Other than its classic ice cream and sorbet flavors, Berthillon also offers year-round specialties from its tea room. These icy confections such as the Glace Tatin—vanilla and caramel ice creams with a layer of caramelized apples in the middle—are meant to serve six to 10 people at a time and must be booked in advance. And since the shop doubles as a tea room, you can grab your morning pastry and espresso before exploring the rest of the city.
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Deauville City
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Normandy
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Ile Saint-Louis
- 4th Arrondissement
- Arab World Institute (Institut du Monde Arabe)
- Mémorial de la Shoah (Shoah Memorial)
- Museum of Magic (Musée de la Magie)
- Paradis Latin
- Notre Dame Cathedral
- Notre-Dame Cathedral Towers (Tours de la Cathédrale Notre-Dame)
- Hotel de Ville
- Archaeological Crypt of Notre Dame
- Shakespeare and Company Bookstore
- Caveau de la Huchette
- Carnavalet Museum (Musée Carnavalet)
- 5th Arrondissement
- Maison de Victor Hugo