Arab World Institute (Institut du Monde Arabe)
The building itself is noteworthy, as the intricate latticework on the building’s southern exterior was inspired by a traditional Moorish screen. The museum regularly hosts large temporary exhibitions, with past topics such as contemporary Moroccan art, silks of al-Andalus, and hip-hop in the Bronx Arab streets. Numerous museum and sightseeing combo passes include admission to the institute and are a great way to save money if you plan to visit multiple attractions.
Things to know before you go
- The Arab World Institute is a must-visit for those interested in world cultures and art.
- Before you leave, head up to the 9th-floor observation terrace for panoramic views over Paris.
- The institute is wheelchair-accessible and wheelchair users get free access.
How to get there
The Arab World Institute is situated right on the Seine River, just across from the Île Saint-Louis. There are plenty of buses that serve the area, while the nearest metro stops are Jussieu (Line 7) and Cardinal Lemoine (Line 10), and the Big Bus Tours hop-on hop-off sightseeing busses stop nearby.
When to get there
The museum is open every day of the week except Monday, though the ticket desk closes 45 minutes before closing time, and the gift shop closes about 15 minutes before the museum does. The on-site restaurant, Le Zyriab, stays open until late at night. If you want to avoid crowds, your best bet is to come on a weekday morning.
Arab Culture in Paris
Paris has a large population of people from (or with ancestry in) the Arab world, and those interested in Arab culture will find plenty to see and do here. The museum’s Center for Language and Civilization offers Arabic classes for both children and adults. The Mosque of Paris nearby is also worth a visit; there’s even a hammam (Turkish bath) right on-site.
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Deauville City
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Normandy
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Paradis Latin
- Ile Saint-Louis
- 4th Arrondissement
- Jardin des Plantes
- 5th Arrondissement
- Museum of Magic (Musée de la Magie)
- Mémorial de la Shoah (Shoah Memorial)
- Notre Dame Cathedral
- Notre-Dame Cathedral Towers (Tours de la Cathédrale Notre-Dame)
- Rue Mouffetard Market
- Saint Étienne du Mont
- French National Museum of Natural History (Musee National d'Histoire Naturelle)
- Shakespeare and Company Bookstore
- Archaeological Crypt of Notre Dame