Promthep Cape (Laem Phromthep)
While the bizarre modernist lighthouse, shaped like a robotic crab topped with a gilded spire, is interesting to look at and the colorful elephant statues at the shrine make great photos, travelers mainly come to Cape Promthep for the views. Visit on a Phuket day tour, by scooter, by tuk-tuk, or in air-conditioned comfort; swing by independently to catch the sunset; admire the cape from below on a catamaran cruise; or enjoy dinner with a view at the restaurant.
Recent reviews from experiences in Phuket
Things to know before you go
- Cape Promthep is a must for Instagrammers and popular with photographers too.
- The top of Cape Promthep can get very crowded at sunset. Head down the rocky headland or eat at the restaurant for a less hectic experience.
- Stalls in the parking area sell food, drinks, and souvenirs.
- The main Cape Promthep viewpoint is accessed by stairs from the parking lot. It’s not adapted for travelers who use wheelchairs.
How to get there
Cape Promthep protrudes into the ocean in southern Phuket, about an 11-mile (18-kilometer) drive southwest from Phuket Old Town. It’s easy to access from the main coastal road but many travelers prefer to join a tour rather than self-drive.
When to get there
Big buses, smaller tour groups, and independent travelers alike flood to Promthep Cape in the early evening to grab the classic sunset shot. Arrive early in the morning for views without the crowds.
Phuket’s Best Viewpoints
A mountainous island, Phuket offers a wealth of viewpoints to choose from. The 148-foot (45-meter) Chalong Big Buddha perches atop a hill with 360-degree views over southern Phuket. The Karon View Point delivers gorgeous pictures of three curving beaches: Kata Noi Beach, Kata Yai Beach, and Karon Beach. Or watch sailboats, longtails, catamarans, and more toing and froing across Chalong Bay from the Kao Khad Views Tower viewing platform.
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Ko Yao Yai
- Things to do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Things to do in Khao Lak
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Surat Thani
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Gulf of Thailand