Found in the Baroque streets of Prague’s Malá Strana (Lesser Town) on the west bank of the Vltava River, the Church of Our Lady Victorious (Kostel Panny Marie Vitezne) has its origins back in 1611. It was rebuilt in its present, richly Baroque style in the 30 years up to 1669 by a Carmelite order of monks and has an interior of dazzling gilt and marble adornment. However, the church’s main claim to fame is its painted wooden statuette of the Infant Jesus of Prague. At about 20 inches (50 cm) in height, it has a highly stylized head topped with cherubic curls and its right hand is raised in blessing. The Infant Jesus is originally from Spain and was donated to the Carmelites by a princess of the noble Lobkowicz dynasty in 1628; he has an rich wardrobe donated by visiting dignitaries as well as two crowns—one a gift studded with pearls and garnets given by Pope Benedict XVI when he visited Prague in 2009—and his outfits are changed at set points in the church year.
The statue’s bejeweled, fur-lined robes and crowns can be seen in the Museum of the Prague Infant Jesus above the church, which is accessible via spiral staircase.