Mt. Isabel de Torres
For many visitors, a trip to the top of Isabel de Torres Mountain is a highlight of Puerto Plata, making it a must-see for first-time visitors. Due to its popularity, a ride on the cable car features on just about every sightseeing tour around town. These tours typically include all the highlights, like the Fortress of San Felipe, Brugal Rum Distillery, Amber Museum, and Del Oro Chocolate Factory. The site is also easy to visit independently for travelers who wish to take in the views at their own pace.
Things to know before you go
- Don’t forget your camera for a photo op from the top.
- Vendors sell jewelry and crafts beneath the dome at the base of the statue, and they can be tenacious; avoid this area if you’re not interested in buying.
- Hungry visitors will find a full-service restaurant and snack stall atop the mountain.
- Wear proper walking shoes if you want to explore Isabel de Torres Mountain.
How to get there
The mountain peak is accessible via a cable car; the ride takes approximately five to seven minutes. Visitors have the option of taking the aerial tram both ways or taking the cable car up and walking down. If traveling independently, plan to hire a taxi. Many drivers will wait for you to come back down and take you back to your hotel.
When to get there
The cable car is open daily; plan to visit first thing in the morning, as cloud cover tends to roll over the mountain in the afternoons, obstructing the view. The period between March and May offers fewer crowds on the mountain and less chance of rain.
Outdoor Attractions in Puerto Plata
The Dominican Republic’s eighth largest city makes an excellent base for outdoor adventure. The nearby 27 Charcos de Damajagua comprise a series of waterfalls where visitors can slide, jump, climb, and swim in a spectacular natural setting. The beaches of Cabarete, just east of town, offer excellent conditions for windsurfing and kitesurfing, while Playa Dorada ranks as the best beach in the area for swimming and lazing in the sand.
- Things to do in Samaná
- Things to do in Santo Domingo
- Things to do in La Romana
- Things to do in Punta Cana
- Things to do in Arecibo
- Things to do in Luquillo
- Things to do in Fajardo
- Things to do in Kingston
- Things to do in Ocho Rios
- Things to do in Runaway Bay
- Things to do in Trelawny
- Things to do in Falmouth
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Monument of Santiago (Monumento a los Héroes de la Restauración)
- Key Paradise
- Amber Museum (Museo Del Ámbar)
- Brugal Rum Center
- Fort San Felipe (Fortaleza San Felipe)
- Dorada Beach (Playa Dorada)
- Amber Cove
- Damajagua Falls (27 Charcos)
- La Isabela
- Sosua Beach (Playa Sosua)
- Encuentro Beach (Playa Encuentro)
- Ocean World Adventure Park
- La Aurora Cigar Factory
- Punta Rusia
- Cayo Paraiso (Paradise Island)