If you're interested in how ports work or simply want to spend some time out on the sea, a boat visit to Rotterdam's FutureLand visitor information center might be just the ticket. Here you can view the massive port, tour it via VR, sign your child up for a workshop, or dine in one of many on-site restaurants.
Situated in the Maasvlakte 2 expansion area of the Port of Rotterdam, this free information center gives visitors the opportunity to learn all about the ins and outs of port operations through a variety of immersive exhibits. It's a bit difficult to get here on your own without a car or bicycle, so most visitors choose to visit on a bus or ferry tour; just make sure to book in advance.
Things to Know Before You Go
FutureLand is a must-visit attraction for people interested in port development.
Admission to FutureLand is free, but ferry tours cost extra.
Smartphone audio guides are available for download.
FutureLand and the ferry are wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
FutureLand is situated at the port in Rotterdam, at Port Number 8360, about a 40-minute drive from central Rotterdam or 45 minutes from The Hague. There's plenty of free, on-site car and bike parking for visitors, and there are summer ferry services from Hoek van Holland to Massvlakte, about a half-hour walk or 10-minute bike ride away. If you don’t have a car or bike, you’re best off visiting as part of an organized tour.
When to Get There
FutureLand is open Tuesday through Friday from midmorning to late afternoon, with slightly reduced hours on Sundays. From May through September, it's also open on Saturdays. Free presentations are held once daily on Sunday afternoons.
An addition to the Port of Rotterdam built on reclaimed land extending from the Maasvlakte port area, Maasvlakte 2 opened in 2013 and features fully electric port terminals that use wind-turbine-generated power. As part of its mission of sustainability, Maasvlakte 2 only allows companies with excellent environmental ratings to operate here.
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in North Holland
- Miniworld Rotterdam
- Rotterdam Central Station (Rotterdam Centraal)
- Rotterdam Zoo (Diergaarde Blijdorp)
- Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen
- Kunsthal Rotterdam (Art Hall Rotterdam)
- Rotterdam City Hall (Stadhuis)
- SS Rotterdam
- Maritime Museum Rotterdam
- Church of St. Lawrence (Sint Laurenskerk)
- Markthal (Market Hall)
- Cube Houses (Kubuswoningen)
- Erasmusbrug (Erasmus Bridge)
- Netherlands Photo Museum (Nederlands Fotomuseum)