Rotterdam Zoo (Diergaarde Blijdorp)
Rotterdam Zoo is large, and it’s worth devoting at least a half-day to fully explore. Wander the grounds and spot rarely seen creatures such as geladas (grass-eating monkeys) and okapis (forest giraffes) in spacious enclosures designed to mimic natural habitats. Time your visit to attend one of the zoo’s animal feedings, bird flying demonstrations, and zookeeper meet and greets—all of which are free for ticket holders. Check the schedule on the day of your visit for details.
Recent reviews from experiences in Rotterdam
Things to Know Before You Go
For additional facts, an interactive map, and more, download the free app in advance of your visit.
Rotterdam Zoo features a souvenir shop, indoor and outdoor play areas, and Wi-Fi access points.
A miniature train carries passengers from the zoo’s Oceanium entrance to the Riviera Hall entrance for a fee.
The zoo is wheelchair-accessible, and strollers can be rented at the site.
How to Get There
The Riviera Hall entrance to Rotterdam Zoo is about a 12-minute walk from Rotterdam Central Station (Rotterdam Centraal). Alternatively, you can do as the locals do and cycle here. Bike parking is available at the zoo.
When to Get There
Rotterdam Zoo is open daily and busiest on summer weekends and holidays. It’s best to visit when the weather is dry, as much of the complex is exposed to the elements, although you can find shelter at Oceanium aquarium, the Amazonica tropical butterfly garden, and Asia Hall.
Family-Friendly Attractions in Rotterdam
With indoor and outdoor spaces for play, Rotterdam Zoo is a great option for families. If you’re looking for more kid-friendly fun, visit Miniworld Rotterdam, which features a detailed miniature model of the city including operational trains. Or head to Plaswijckpark, a theme park with gentle rides, play areas, and a small zoo with monkeys, owls, and goats.
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in North Holland
- SS Rotterdam
- Kunsthal Rotterdam (Art Hall Rotterdam)
- Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen
- Netherlands Photo Museum (Nederlands Fotomuseum)
- Kop van Zuid
- Erasmusbrug (Erasmus Bridge)
- Maritime Museum Rotterdam
- Miniworld Rotterdam
- Rotterdam City Hall (Stadhuis)
- Markthal (Market Hall)
- Church of St. Lawrence (Sint Laurenskerk)
- Rotterdam Central Station (Rotterdam Centraal)
- Rotterdam Old Harbor (Oude Haven)