The Historical Museum of the North in Salta, Argentina is one of the most important museums in the country. The building was once the town hall building and is a true example of colonial architecture. The original building dated back to 1626, but its structure did not hold up, and new construction began in the late 1700s. The building was remodeled and renovated in 1945, and the museum opened in 1949. It is a National Historic Landmark.
Centuries of Argentinean and South American historical treasures are housed here, including items from the indigenous culture and the colonial period. The rooms are arranged throughout two floors in chronological order starting with the pre-Hispanic era. Displays include art, furniture, artifacts, documents and transportation. A changing of the guard ceremony with gauchos takes place at noon on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays in front of the building.