Poas Volcano National Park
Poas Volcano makes for a thrilling day-trip destination from San Jose, as tours regularly depart from the city for the volcano and often combine a visit with other popular Costa Rica activities such as white-water rafting, coffee plantation tours, or a stop at the La Paz Waterfall Gardens.
There, admire the mile-long (1.6-kilometer-long) crater home to the deep, rain-fed Botos Lagoon and dotted with smoking fumaroles—a view most will find accessible via the paved trail. Two slightly longer hikes offer incredible opportunities to spot wildlife like hummingbirds, wildflowers, and the elusive quetzal.
Recent reviews from experiences in San Jose
Things to Know Before You Go
Dress in layers and prepare for rain, as it can be cold and wet near the crater.
Visiting time is limited to 10 minutes at the crater.
The visitor center is wheelchair accessible.
On-site facilities include parking, picnic tables, restrooms, and a café with some food options.
How to Get There
The easiest way to visit Poas Volcano is as part of a guided day tour. The park is also accessible via private transportation, but bus services to Alajuela are sparse.
When to Get There
Get the best views when you visit early in the day during the dry season (December through April). Clouds typically roll in around noon, and many of the park’s facilities close by 3pm.
Other Costa Rican Volcanoes
The Poas Volcano is far from Costa Rica's only volcanic attraction, and geothermically inclined visitors should make a note to visit the Irazú Volcano, also home to a crater lake, or the popular Arenal Volcano. Guided hiking, adventure, or sightseeing tours depart for Costa Rica's volcanic hotspots daily.
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Quepos
- Things to do in Jaco
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Limon
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Panama City
- Things to do in San Blas Islands
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Orosi River Valley (El Valle del Rio Orosi)
- Rescate Animal Zooave
- La Sabana Park
- Costa Rican Art Museum (Museo de Arte Costarricense)
- Children's Museum (Museo de los Ninos)
- San Jose Central Market (Mercado Central)
- Jade Museum (Museo del Jade)
- Metallic Building (Ed)ificio Metálico)
- Yellow House (Casa Amarilla)
- Plaza de la Cultura
- National Theater (Teatro Nacional)
- Gold Museum
- National Museum (Museo Nacional)