Because it's a great example of Singapore’s cultural diversity, Kampong Glam—the neighborhood that encompasses Arab Street—features on many sightseeing tours, which let you explore the city on foot, by bike, or in an air-conditioned coach. Tours typically reveal both the highlights and hidden gems of Kampong Glam, which include the Masjid Sultan Mosque, the Malay Heritage Centre, and Haji Lane, famous for its street art and quirky coffee shops.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Arab Street is a must-visit for lovers of Middle Eastern food and travelers looking to shop for bright and colorful materials.
- The nasi padang (rich curry) and mutton biryanis served in restaurants surrounding Arab Street are famous among locals.
- The flat and smooth surfaces of Arab Street make it easily accessible for travelers with strollers and wheelchairs.
How to Get There
Arab Street is within a few minutes walk from the busy Bugis Junction, which is serviced by buses 2, 12, 33, 130, and 133, and the blue Downtown and East West subway lines. Arab Street is a 10-minute walk from the iconic Raffles Hotel, famous for its Singapore Sling cocktails.
When to Get There
Arab Street is a day and night destination, with restaurants opening from lunchtime and shisha bars opening their doors in the early evening. During the Muslim festivals of Ramadan and Eid Murabak, the area comes to life with colorful festvities.
No visit to Kampong Glam would be complete without stopping at Haji Lane, one of the city’s hippest areas. Shuttered shop fronts are painted in bright colors; street art murals make social and political statements; and cafes serve novelty drinks and snacks such as selfie coffee, where cappuccinos come with a selfie printed on the foam.
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Pulau Ubin
- Things to do in Malaysia
- Things to do in Indonesia
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in South Coast