This elegant pedestrian bridge in Singapore’s Colonial District ranks among the oldest bridges in the city. As you approach the bridge, keep your eyes open for an antiquated police notice warning that no horse or cattle-drawn vehicles are allowed to pass over. Walking tours through the streets of Singapore typically cross over the bridge while passing between some of the city’s top attractions, like Merlion Park, Marina Bay, National Gallery Singapore, and the Fullerton Hotel.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Cavenagh Bridge is always free and open—a great option for spontaneous travelers.
- Bring your camera; the bridge offers excellent views up and down the river.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes for a stroll across the bridge and along the Singapore riverfront.
How to Get There
The pedestrian bridge provides a link between Singapore’s cultural district on the north bank of the Singapore River and the commercial district to the south. The nearest metro station is at Raffles Place.
When to Get There
The bridge is particularly beautiful at night, thanks to a series of lights that were added during the 1990s, so consider planning to visit on your way to Boat Quay, Singapore’s nearby dining and nightlife hotspot.
Singapore’s Best Bridges
Take a trip along the Singapore River, and you’ll notice many bridges spanning the water. Some, like the Cavenagh Bridge, are more impressive than others. The Alkaff Bridge at Robertson Quay is stunning at night, when it’s illuminated in multiple colors (earning it the nickname Singapore Art Bridge). The Helix Bridge, one of the newest in the city, crosses Marina Bay and offers some of the best views of the Singapore skyline.
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Pulau Ubin
- Things to do in Malaysia
- Things to do in Indonesia
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in South Coast