Mrs Macquarie's Chair
Travelers can visit Mrs Macquarie’s Chair on self-guided walks around The Domain and Sydney’s adjoining Royal Botanic Garden. Alternatively, experience its views and hear its history on a walking, minivan, or bike tour. You can also pass it on a chauffeured trike or motorbike tour, or see it from the water on a yacht, speedboat, or harbor cruise.
Another popular way to see the chair is on sunset or evening walking tours; the viewpoint commands glorious views of Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House bathed in floodlights. Otherwise, make the most of the views on a pop-up picnic or photography tour. To maximize your sightseeing opportunities in Sydney, combo tours are available that showcase Mrs Macquarie’s Chair and other Sydney highlights such as Bondi Beach and Northern Beaches. Other options include multi-day adventures that pair Sydney with regional attractions such as the Blue Mountains— letting you cover maximum ground hassle-free.
Things to know before you go
- Admission to Mrs Macquarie’s Chair and The Domain is free.
- The chair site is wheelchair- and stroller-accessible.
- Restrooms are located in the Royal Botanic Garden.
- Bring a jacket in winter, as the harbor winds are chilly.
How to get there
Mrs Macquarie’s Chair sits across Farm Cove, just east of Sydney Opera House. Reach it on a scenic, 20-minute walk from the Opera House along The Domain’s foreshore, or via the Botanic Garden. The nearest bus stop is Andrew (Boy) Charlton Pool. Drivers can access the chair along Mrs Macquarie’s Road, which has metered parking.
When to get there
Mrs Macquarie’s Chair is accessible any time, but can be crowded during Sydney’s summer season—early-morning visits offer the best chance of peace and quiet. Shutterbugs should aim for sunset and after dark to enjoy the fabulous views over illuminated Sydney Harbour. For unforgettable shots, visit on New Year’s Eve to see the celebrated fireworks crackle over the bay.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Queensland