Being a residential and commercial neighborhood, there are many attractions for travelers to explore in Paddington. Keen shoppers won’t want to miss the Saturday markets, or the art galleries, boutiques, and artisan food stores along Oxford Street. The side streets off the main thoroughfare hide some beautifully restored colonial-era architecture, and the heritage-listed Paddington Reservoir Gardens are a surprising oasis of green and antique columns in an urban neighborhood.
Many travelers visit Paddington independently, or stay at one of its boutique hotels. Private guided tours, or hop-on hop-off bus services, are a convenient way to add Paddington to a Sydney itinerary.
Things to know before you go
- There are many British-style pubs in the neighborhood, for a pint of beer or a bar meal.
- The Paddington Markets fund a charity that works with Sydney’s homeless and disadvantaged, so shopping at the markets can be a good deed.
- Film buffs won’t want to miss the Chauvel Cinema, which shows international art-house films in a heritage-listed building.
How to get there
Paddington is about a 20-minute walk east of Sydney Town Hall. Regular buses from Circular Quay, Town Hall, and Central Station stop at Oxford Street. It’s better not to use your own car (or rental) in central Sydney, as the traffic and parking conditions can be difficult.
When to get there
Paddington is a popular destination on Saturdays, when the Paddington Markets set up along Oxford Street. As this is a mixed residential and commercial suburb, there’s no bad time to visit. For dining and nightlife, come in the evening. To stroll around outside, avoid the middle of the day in summer, when temperatures are very hot.
Visit Paddy’s Market
Don’t confuse Paddington with Paddy’s Market, in central Sydney’s Haymarket/Chinatown area. Less upmarket than Paddington, Paddy’s Market is nevertheless a popular place for affordable food and souvenirs, and is conveniently located quite near Darling Harbour. It operates from Wednesday to Sunday.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Queensland