Although Rose Bay is a great place for shopping, it’s the outdoor amenities and natural wonders that draw a host of people to Rose Bay every day. Most of those who head out to this eastern suburb do so for athletic activities; the area is host to two top-notch golf courses, plenty of tennis courts, a lovely beach, and even sailing and jet-skiing. Hop-on hop-off tours will get you here; for an unusual view of the area, consider a scenic seaplane flight over Sydney.
Things to know before you go
- Remember sunscreen and bug spray if you plan on taking advantage of athletic activities or want to spend time on the beach.
- It’s a good idea to book activities such as jet-skiing and golf in advance, especially on weekends.
- For great views of the harbor, book a table at Catalina Restaurant, which serves seafood right at Rose Bay Wharf.
How to get there
Rose Bay is well connected to the rest of Sydney by bus, and there’s a good amount of parking in the area for those with their own cars. The Eastern Suburbs Ferry Service, which connects Circular Quay to Rose Bay and Watsons Bay, is also an option.
When to get there
The best time to visit this area—particularly if you're keen to take advantage of outdoor activities—is during the spring and fall months, when the weather is pleasant. If you're sensitive to heat, note that the summer months (December through February) can get very hot in Rose Bay.
Those interested in old architecture (by Australian standards) should consider paying a visit to Fernleigh Castle, which was built from sandstone in 1892. Although the 30-room mansion is privately owned, it’s worth checking out from the exterior. It looks very much like a Norman castle, incorporating Neo-Romanesque elements that were all the rage in the Victorian era.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Queensland