Tankah Park conveniently neighbors Tulum’s famous Mayan ruins, and both often feature on day tours along the Riviera Maya from Cancun. You’ll need a good few hours for park exploration, depending on your chosen itinerary, with tour options available for adrenaline junkies and culture vultures alike. Some guided tours combine exploration of the park’s underground cenote system with swimming and snorkeling in the Caribbean Sea.
Things to know before you go
- Some park tours include a visit to the Mayan village Tankah, plus a traditional lunch.
- Environmentally friendly mosquito spray, sunscreen, and sturdy shoes are a must in the jungle park.
- Guests must bring their own towels and swimsuits.
- Water shoes are useful for cenote exploration.
- It’s worth packing a few snacks as activities can be tiring.
How to get there
Located around 6 miles (10 kilometers) from central Tulum, just off Highway 307, Tankah Park is easy to get to by road from any Riviera Maya town. Several tours include round-trip transportation; otherwise, you can catch a bus directly to Tulum, then hail a local taxi.
When to get there
Thunderstorms and rain are likely to put a dampener on any outdoor adventure, so aim to visit between December and March when the weather is more suited to cenote swimming and jungle trekking.
Just a bit further down the highway from Tankah Park, the iconic walled city of Tulum, also known as Tulum Ruins, draws visitors with its ancient history, coastal views, and neighboring white-sand beaches. Visitors stopping over in Tulum can easily spend at least half a day here, while those traveling in from further afield can take advantage of multi-attraction tours or passes to check off both attractions in one day.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Cancun
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Puerto Quetzal
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands