St. Mark's Basilica (Basilica di San Marco)
Popular and perpetually busy, St. Mark’s Basilica is the most famous monument in Venice. You can reserve skip-the-line tickets in advance, or book an after-hours tour for private evening access. While the exterior is visited on just about every city sightseeing tour, a guided tour is the best way to experience the interior, given the complexity of its art and architecture.
The basilica anchors St. Mark’s Square, so you can easily combine a tour of the church with a gondola ride and a Doge’s Palace tour.
Recent reviews from experiences in Venice
Things to know before you go
The church has been rebuilt, expanded, and delicately restored over the centuries.
Like most churches in Italy, St. Mark’s Basilica requires visitors to wear appropriate clothing—no exposed shoulders, knees, or midriffs.
Large bags are not permitted in the basilica. Deposit any luggage at Ateneo di San Basso (in Piazzetta dei Leoncini).
Both St. Mark's Basilica and the nearby Doge's Palace are wheelchair accessible.
How to get there
The cathedral is on the eastern end of the Piazza San Marco, adjacent to the Palazzo Ducale (Doge’s Palace) along the Grand Canal. The nearest vaporetto (ferry) stop is San Marco–San Zaccaria.
When to get there
The basilica is most crowded at midday, so aim for a morning or late-afternoon visit. Summer is the busiest time, while Venice is relatively quiet from November through February (aside from the Christmas and New Year holidays, and during Carnival).
The Pala d’Oro
St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome is famous for Michelangelo's Pietà and Florence’s Duomo is known for Brunelleschi’s dome, but St. Mark’s Basilica’s greatest treasure—the stunning Pala d'Oro—is older than even those masterpieces. This glittering gold and enamel altarpiece from 976 AD is considered one of the most important, refined examples of Byzantine enamel in the world.
- Things to do in Veneto
- Things to do in Treviso
- Things to do in Padua
- Things to do in Vicenza
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- San Marco Chamber Orchestra (Virtuosi di Venezia)
- Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale)
- Bridge of Sighs
- Correr Museum (Museo Correr)
- St. Mark's Square (Piazza San Marco)
- St. Mark's Clock Tower (Torre dell'Orologio)
- San Gallo Theater (Teatro San Gallo)
- Hard Rock Cafe Venice
- Church of San Zaccaria (Chiesa di San Zaccaria)
- Church of Santa Maria Formosa (Chiesa di Santa Maria Formosa)
- Campo Santa Maria Formosa
- Querini Stampalia Foundation (Fondazione Querini Stampalia)
- Bovolo Staircase (Scala Contarini del Bovolo)
- Campo San Bartolomeo