Thomas Jefferson Memorial
As one of Washington DC’s top landmarks, the Jefferson Memorial is included on most DC monument tours that circuit through the National Mall. Walking and Segway tours typically include access to the inner chamber as well as time to explore, while Potomac River cruises and bus and van tours offer long-range views of the memorial and surrounding cherry trees.
Things to Know Before You Go
Restrooms are located beneath the memorial in the visitor center, accessible by elevator.
The inner chamber is wheelchair accessible through the visitor center.
The National Park Service has rangers on duty from 9:30am to 11pm daily.
How to Get There
Public transport is the easiest way to reach the memorial. Take a 15-minute walk from the Smithsonian Metro station stop to the Tidal Basin, hop on the National Mall Circulator bus, or grab a Capital Bikeshare bike from multiple locations around the National Mall. Book a tour with round-trip transport to avoid the hassle of navigating.
When to Get There
The Jefferson Memorial is open 24 hours a day, year-round. Though the hours between 6pm and 9pm are the busiest, going in the evening is worth the crowds for sunset views. Visit in the morning to beat the crowds, or take an evening bus tour for views of the memorial illuminated at night. The memorial and surrounding Tidal Basin are popular among visitors during peak cherry blossom season, from late March to early April.
White House Connection
Sit on the steps of the Jefferson Memorial. Now, spot the White House. When President Franklin Roosevelt got to Washington, he lobbied for a memorial of the predecessor he idolized. When the plans were finally approved, Roosevelt chose the site on the Tidal Basin because he wanted a direct view of his creation from the White House—so much so that he ordered trees to be cut for a better view.
- Things to do in Williamsburg
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Virginia
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in New York
- Tidal Basin
- East Potomac Park
- Bureau of Engraving and Printing
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial
- Washington Monument
- National World War II Memorial
- The Pentagon
- International Spy Museum
- National Museum of African Art
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Korean War Veterans Memorial
- National Museum of American History
- The Smithsonian