National Museum of the American Indian
Designed in collaboration with tribes from throughout the continent and set in the heart of the National Mall, the National Museum of the American Indian is set apart by its curvilinear architecture, indigenous landscaping, and expansive collections. Exhibits include collections focused on local tribes, Native ceremonies and ancestry, and the imagiNATIONS Activity Center. The museum is a popular stop on walking, biking, Segway, and hop-on-hop-off bus tours. You can also visit with a historian/guide on a tour of DC’s top museums.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The museum is a must-visit for American Indian culture enthusiasts.
- You can purchase Native-made crafts, art, and souvenirs in the Roanoke Museum Store.
- The museum is wheelchair accessible and provides adaptive resources for people with disabilities.
- This DC museum is the sister institute of New York City’s Museum of the American Indian.
How to Get There
Located on the National Mall between the US Capitol Building and the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, the National Museum of the American Indian is easily accessible on foot (from nearby attractions) or by public transportation. The nearest Metro station is L'Enfant Plaza (Blue/Orange/Silver/Green/Yellow lines) and convenient bus lines include 30, 32, 34, 35, and 36.
When to Get There
Midday is one of the most popular times to visit the museum because visitors can catch lunch at the museum’s acclaimed cafe before or after exploring the museum. Check the museum’s online schedule if you are interested in a specific exhibit or event.
While many museum cafes offer non-noteworthy fare that museum-goers only eat in a pinch, the Mitsitam Cafe stands alone, drawing in diners who aren’t even visiting the museum otherwise. The cafe offers indigenous cuisine at five different themed food stations such as “Sea and Streams” and “Mountains and Plains.” With dishes ranging from traditional fry bread to bison burgers, the cafe blends historic and contemporary cooking techniques, ingredients, and flavors.
- Things to do in Williamsburg
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Virginia
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in New York
- National Air and Space Museum
- United States Botanic Garden
- Ulysses S. Grant Memorial
- National Gallery of Art
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- National Mall
- U.S. Capitol
- National Archives Museum
- The Smithsonian
- U.S. Navy Memorial
- National Museum of Natural History
- Japanese American Memorial
- International Spy Museum
- The Pentagon
- National Museum of African Art